Thursday, April 25, 2013

Almost an Entire Trip Around the Sun


April 25, 2013

Almost an Entire Trip Around the Sun
So remember when I warned you that I might do this blogging thing in fits and spurts? Yeah.

I will try to give you the Cliff’s Notes version of the events between last summer and now, but even the summary is bound to get verbose, so hang in there.

 My last post was about my breastmilk supply fading. That continued.  P nursed until about 13-14 months, but not full-time anymore.  We supplemented with formula and it was fine, of course. Ultimately P’s laid-back personality was a wonderful benefit as his transition from breastmilk to formula supplementation to whole milk was smooth and for all intents and purposes he self-weaned, which is what I truly wanted (I think he would have happily nursed longer if my body would have played ball and hung in there better….but as you are about to see, life kicked me in the gut a bit during this time and I shut down some….producing milk was not my body’s top priority).

 
In July we went on a family vacation to Blue Ridge, GA.  This is a favorite, inexpensive destination for us as we have friends with a beautiful cabin there and it is a 10 hour drive, so no flying required!

We had a wonderful time, but I will say as a general statement, that vacationing with a child is WAY different than vacationing as a childless couple.  Definitely more sober and less restful.

 
August. I have A LOT of emotions tied up in August of 2012 and I am sure I will have to revisit that particular month again later with a more introspective post, but we have ground to cover, so I will keep it brief for now. 

So on August 4th was P’s Very Hungry Caterpillar 1st Birthday party. It was wonderful. August 7th was his actual birthday.  On the 12th, a Sunday, my mom came to town in the evening to stay with P so J and I could have a ‘date-night’ for his birthday, which was the next day, the 13th.

On Tuesday, August 14th, my mom had a job interview for an accounting job that she was very excited about.  She had been out of work since being laid off when the economy collapsed (she worked in big construction and that was not the place to be when companies stop building). During her interview she collapsed. She had an aortic aneurysm and she died. She was 52.

I could write and write (and write) about her and it would not do justice to our relationship, or the bond she had with P, or how much I hate it, every day that she is gone.

So, for the rest of my life, in the period between August 7th and August 14th, I will celebrate my son’s life, my husband’s life and mourn my mother’s death.  She would hate it. I hate it.  She would just hate to know how it all happened and how close it is to P’s birthday.  I get irrationally upset when I think about how sad it would make my mom to know about the details of her own death….how’s that for morbid circular logic?

 
I have to go back to that later or I will just stay there for this whole post and we will all be stuck in August 2012.

 
From there, we kind of sprint forward to now. 

In December, instead of spending Christmas at home, J insisted we go to Blue Ridge…mostly to get me somewhere mentally neutral since not having my mom around was going to be rough, and it was. My best friend and her son and husband came too; it was as good as it could have been all things considered.

 
In the last 4 months: I turned 33; one of my best friends had her first baby, a daughter; my cousin in Indiana (the one who we visited for her wedding when my mom and I went to Indy last May) had her first baby, also a daughter; we went to visit my Aunt in Ohio (my mom’s sister); and J and I put an offer in on what will hopefully be the first home we own.

 
Some general catch up: I DID sell my pony to a wonderful home in south Florida!  Now I am trying to sell my personal horse, Reese…time and finances and parenthood do not lend very well to horse ownership.  It is sad, but the responsible thing to do (being an adult really sucks sometimes!).  I still work for the citrus company and I still get frustrated sometimes and check the job boards for microbiologist positions that are open, but overall I am comfortable with my job decision for now.  J and I keep debating the second child possibility.  His age and finances are the big considerations for NO (and the fact that until 8 months ago when my mom died, I was very happy being an only child).  However, the fact that P does not have a lot of living family and the fact that I think that deep down J really wants another baby are pulling me towards the YES side of the argument more and more.  We’ll see.

 
I think, in a nutshell, that is as good as it gets for right now.  Hopefully I can bring us all some clarity on the details in some future posts.  Sorry for the lack of funny or witty in this one, it was a kind of necessary to just plow through the timeline and the sad stuff to get back up to date.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment