Thursday, June 6, 2013

Oh Hurricane Season, How I Have Missed Thee


June 6, 2013

Oh Hurricane Season, How I Have Missed Thee

 
Welcome to Florida my friends! June through November is hurricane season in Florida. The time of year where meteorologists get very excited whenever a storm system in the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico shows even the slightest amount of rotational organization.  When weather that would otherwise be called ‘rain’ gets the titillating label of ‘tropical moisture’….exciting, right?

Today, the weather experts are as excited as can be because we are only 6 days into June and already they have Tropical Storm Andrea! Woo-hoo, I think the local meteorologists were starting to feel left out of all the weather news by the recent tornadoes in OK. 

Listen, I take Mother Nature seriously, you better respect her, because she has NO respect for you….so I am not trying to make light of weather disasters, especially devastating ones like the tornadoes in OK and major hurricanes.  This is not that.  This is rain, heavy at times, and there are tornado warnings (although we get roof, trailer, and tree damaging tornadoes here, not 2 mile wide neighborhood destroying ones like the Midwest). Incidentally, the scariest storms I have been through in Florida were when I was kid and some storms came through our area….in March (not hurricane season) that spun off a few damaging tornadoes and we had no power for a week. 

Not much else to this post.  I was just feeling like….well, like a FL meteorologist, I couldn’t let a perfectly good tropical storm pass by and not make some kind of commentary about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment