Thursday, May 9, 2013

Breaking the Antibiotic Seal and Mother's Day

May 9, 2013

Breaking the Antibiotic Seal and Mother’s Day

 
Well, we made it 21 months without any medications.  This is good.  P has had a runny nose and deep cough that has not gone away for the past two weeks…we were just not moving past this toddler cold.  It doesn’t slow him down, but I know he doesn’t feel 100% either. So we went to the pediatrician today and he said P has a bit of a sinus infection, which is a bacterial issue, not a viral one. Bummer.  Two weeks of antibiotics and we should be good to go.  I know that antibiotics have a good and useful place in our world, I have just become so anti-overusing them that I have to remind myself that this is a good and valid reason TO use them!  We are fortunate to have a pediatrician that is well-versed on the immune system and does not jump to prescribing unnecessary medications.  We have had several discussions on letting fevers and viruses run their course and what warning signs to look for and when medication is necessary. This time it is necessary.

Hopefully by the weekend P will be a little less snotty too.  It is totally true that toddlers always have a runny nose…and it is gross. So gross.  P and I are going to visit my mom’s best friend and her daughter on Sunday for Mother’s Day. J and I talked about it and I wanted to be somewhere where I felt close to my mom, and seeing her best friend immediately was my answer.  I think J and I are doing something Saturday to celebrate and he also got new wheels for my car (don’t give me the side-eye….my poor Civic was looking pretty rough with the one missing wheel cover….we went cheap when purchasing this car and real rims and tires are an awesome aesthetic upgrade!). Hopefully J will go see his mom on Sunday and participate in whatever overpriced brunch his sister sets up for them.  I just couldn’t.  J understands I miss my mom, but he doesn’t ‘get it’. I don’t plan on spending every Mother’s Day away from my husband, but L & A (mom’s BFF and daughter) are family too…you have lots of ‘adopted family’ when you are an only child and all of your aunts, uncles and cousins live in the Midwest…so this is what I needed this year. We are going to have a late lunch at an Italian restaurant that we went to with my mom when A was a baby and then go walk the riverside park near where they live. It will be good, and sad, but hopefully mostly good.

On a closing note: Last weekend J and I had THE conversation….again. It was very bipolar….again. However, we did decide to pull the goalie (no more BC pills) for the rest of 2013.  It should be noted that it took over a year to produce a BFP with P, so this conversation will probably be happening again in January, but for now that is the plan.  At least there is a sort-of plan.  It is sort-of exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment