Monday, May 14, 2012

Leaving on a Jetplane

My Impending ‘Air Travel with Baby’ Experience:

Yep, in two short days I am going to be that person with the baby on the airplane. Awesome. I am hoping that since we are going to Indianapolis, on a Wednesday, in the middle of May, that maybe just maybe we won’t have a full flight and I can be the pariah in the back (by the toilets, of course) with my mom trying to help me entertain a 9 month old who has recently discovered crawling and climbing (and thinks that both are far superior to sitting still).

It is Monday, I am working today and tomorrow, and when I get home it is all P all the time until he goes to bed around 8pm. I have not packed for me or for P yet, I am thinking this should start tonight. In an effort to be cheap (my budget is stretched so thin this month you can see through it), I decided to travel with P’s cloth diapers and not buy disposables. While this is totally do-able (we are staying with family who has already said I could use their washer and dryer) it does take a little bit of extra planning. Mostly I just have to juggle getting the diapers and all the clothes I want to bring clean, dried and packed by Tuesday night. Easy peasy right? Sure, if I wasn’t currently sitting in my favorite jeans and a shirt I want to bring with (mental note: wear ugly clothes to work tomorrow). I also need to put some serious thought into the most important packing task at hand: what to put in the diaper bag that I will carry on the plane. I have to walk that fine line between sacrificing bag space for something P might find amusing and potentially leaving out that one key item that could have saved us all tears and frustration. Throw in the ‘what will TSA seize at the security check, because my blonde baby looks like a potential terrorist’ factor and let the fun begin.

Wish me luck, and my apologies ahead of time to anyone travelling from Tampa to Indianapolis on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment